Sunday, October 29, 2006

Me and Jonathan Ross

Yeah, I know it sounds pretty grand. But let me explain.

I've been a fan of Mr Ross's Saturday morning radio show for many years. I love his laddish, non PC sense of humour and his ability to improvise (often hilarious) asides and rants. And in all the years I've been listening, I've been trying to get onto his phone-in quiz. What usually happens is, I get through, my name goes into the hat but I don't get picked.

Until Saturday 28th October, that is. What happened, I phoned in as usual and they'd just had julie Andrews on, talking about this children's book she'd written and of course, the researcher asked what I did for a living and I told him and he said, 'ah, that's topical!' and from that point on, I kind of knew that they'd phone back.

As usual, the quiz itself was a debacle. Andy had created this one-off Halloween special, which was so complicated that neither I nor the lady I was playing against, could understand the rules. But, Jonno and I seemed to get on like the proverbial house on fire; we talked about music, we talked about publishing AND, more importantly, I managed to get in a mention of Sebastian Darke; Prince Of Fools (shameless self-publicist that I am).

Inspired by this, I went on to ask Andy why he never plays Gary Cooke. If you haven't heard of him, you're missing out. Gary has a fabulous debut album out called Songs For Everyday Use and it absolutely deserves to be up there in the top 20, so I've kind of made it my personal quest to mention it to whoever I can, whenever I can. Oh, and while I'm on the subject of music, I was lucky enough to meet Ian McNabb at a concert the other night (smashing guy) and can heartily recommend his latest CD, People Don't Stop Believin'.

Anyway, the quiz was abandoned, the prizes (whatever THEY are) will be divided up equally and I am determined to follow this up by sending Jonno (or rather, his children) an advance copy of Sebastian Darke, just as soon as one is available. Well, you know what they say.

Carpe Diem. Which roughly translated, means, 'leave no stone unturned in your desperate quest for adulation.'

Or something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home